Ritha Marie's Grits Bowl

Confession: I actually wrote this a while ago and never posted it🙈. What better time to share than a cold January Monday morning!

After losing Xavier my grief fog was so thick that doing simple things, like preparing food for myself, became giant hurdles. Thankfully the first week after we left the hospital my mother stayed with Victor and I to help us adjust to being back home. She cooked, did laundry, helped clean our room and was an all around angel. Every morning she made me the same thing for breakfast: a bowl of grits, two eggs over easy, and bacon. Even after she left, this meal became one of my first rhythms in the early stages of grief. Wake up. Wash face. Put on glasses. Brush teeth. Trudge downstairs and cook breakfast. It’s an easy enough recipe, and it tastes like a warm hug in your mouth. I mean, isn't that what moms are best at?

I know...it's cold. You're tired and missing your baby. But do yourself a favor this chilly morning and make yourself something that will stick to your bones today. You'll thank me later.

Supplies and Ingredients

  • 1 microwave safe bowl
  • 1 skillet (If you play your cards right, this is a 1 pan, 1 bowl, 1 spoon kind of meal)
  • Unsalted butter
  • Quick grits
  • Cheese (If you want to be fancy, use different types for variety. I love mixing 2 or 3 of the following: Havarti, sharp or white cheddar, goat, and Parmesan)
  • 2-3 slices of bacon (You can sub turkey here I suppose, but I can’t vouch for it tasting as good)
  • 2 eggs
  • salt & pepper to taste

Instructions

  1. Set skillet on stove eye at med/med high heat. Place bacon in the skillet and let it do its thing for a bit.
  2. Measure out 3 tablespoons of grits in your bowl. Pour ¾ cup of water in same bowl. Put in microwave for 2½ minutes. Make sure your bowl is kind of wide or it might boil over.
  3. When the microwave goes off, flip your bacon and take the grits out. Add your butter, cheese(s), and salt/pepper to grits to taste. Throw in a dash of cayenne or paprika if you want some extra flavor.
  4. Once your bacon’s done, drain it on a few paper towels and pour excess bacon fat off the pan. If you want to save the fat, strain through cheesecloth or a coffee filter into an empty glass jar.
  5. Put the same skillet back on the stove eye, still on medium heat. Cook your eggs the way you like ‘em. I usually crack two into the pan, right next to one another, add a few cranks of freshly ground black pepper, and prepare mine over easy. 
  6. To assemble: Crumble bacon on top of grits. Slide your eggs on top. Sprinkle more cheese, and add any other toppings you’d like!
  7. Suggestions: salsa verde, black beans, sautéed spinach/kale, pan seared tomatoes, chopped onions or scallions. 
This bowl is also a really great way to use leftovers: I think hearty beef chili, Mexican stuffed poblano peppers, or Saw’s pulled pork are all amazing over these cheesy grits!



Comments